The ITGA emphasises the need for tobacco growers to join forces to counter anti-tobacco-growing pressure.
Membership in the ITGA is available to any recognised tobacco growers' organisation (or those responsible for representing tobacco growers), regardless of its size and of the volume of tobacco leaf that is produced and exported from that country.
ITGA members benefit from a range of activities undertaken by the association. These include:
- Direct contact with growers world-wide through annual and regional meetings, offering opportunities for technical exchange;
- Access to information and assistance from fellow members;
- Free access to ITGA research, specialised literature, relevant statistics and the ITGA's regular publications on issues impacting on this sector;
- Free subscription to the ITGA’s quarterly publication, ‘The Tobacco Courier’ in which member organisations can publicise their activities. ‘The Tobacco Courier’ contains diverse information of interest to the tobacco grower (statistics, country reports, legislation updates, etc.);
- Support in communicating the socio-economic benefits of the crop, thus ensuring that influencers and policy makers at national and international levels consider growers' interest;
- Provision of the knowledge, tools and services needed to contribute authoritatively to the various discussions and debates relating to tobacco issues;
- Access to the ITGA website, www.tobaccoleaf.org, which, in its member-only section provides further information of interest to the tobacco grower, ranging from statistics and relevant international legislation, to reports, interviews and newsletters.